Current:Home > MyMeta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund -ProfitSphere Academy
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:01:31
NEW YORK (AP) — Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, said it has donated $1 million to President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration fund.
The donation comes just weeks after Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg met with Trumpprivately at Mar-a-Lago. A Meta spokesperson confirmed the offering Thursday. The news was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.
Stephen Miller, who has been appointed deputy chief of staff for Trump’s second term, has said that Zuckerberg, like other business leaders, wants to support Trump’s economic plans. The tech CEO has been seeking to change his company’s perception on the right following a rocky relationship with Trump.
Trump was kicked off Facebook following the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol. The company restored his account in early 2023.
During the 2024 campaign, Zuckerberg did not endorse a candidate for president but has voiced a more positive stance toward Trump. Earlier this year, he praised Trump’s response to his first assassination attempt.
Still, Trump had continued to attack Zuckerberg publicly during the campaign. In July, he posted a message on his own social network Truth Social threatening to send election fraudsters to prison in part by citing a nickname he used for the Meta CEO. “ZUCKERBUCKS, be careful!” Trump wrote.
Corporations have traditionally made up a large share of donors to presidential inaugurals, with an exception in 2009, when then-President-elect Barack Obama refused to accept corporate donations. He reversed course for his second inaugural in 2013.
Facebook did not donate to either Biden’s 2021 inaugural or Trump’s 2017 inaugural.
Google donated $285,000 each to Trump first inaugural and Biden’s inaugural, according to Federal Election Commission records. Inaugural committees are required to disclose the source of their fundraising, but not how they spend the money. Microsoft gave $1 million to Obama’s second inaugural, but only $500,000 to Trump in 2017 and Biden in 2021.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (11)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- AP Election Brief | What to expect in Utah’s special congressional primary
- Maui wildfire survivors were left without life-saving medicine. A doctor stepped up to provide them for free.
- ‘Walking Dead’ spinoffs, ‘Interview With the Vampire’ can resume with actors’ union approval
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- From conspiracy theories to congressional hearings: How UFOs became mainstream in America
- The pause is over. As student loan payments resume, how to make sure you're prepared
- Parents honor late son by promoting improved football safety equipment
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 'Super Mario Bros. Wonder' makers explain new gameplay — and the elephant in the room
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Hawaii cultural figures lead statewide 'healing' vigil following deadly wildfires
- Taylor Swift is 'in a class of her own right now,' as Eras tour gives way to Eras movie
- Dolphins' Tyreek Hill won't be suspended by NFL for June marina incident
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- After outrage over Taylor Swift tickets, reform has been slow across the US
- A wrong-way crash with a Greyhound bus leaves 1 dead, 18 injured in Maryland
- Trump enters not guilty plea in Fulton County, won't appear for arraignment
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
‘Walking Dead’ spinoffs, ‘Interview With the Vampire’ can resume with actors’ union approval
Maine wants to expand quarantine zones to stop tree-killing pests
Hong Kong and parts of southern China grind to near standstill as Super Typhoon Saola edges closer
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Why Pregnant Shawn Johnson Is Convinced She's Having Another Baby Girl
Hawaii investigates unsolicited land offers as the state tries to keep Lahaina in local hands
North Carolina State's Rakeim Ashford stretchered off field during game vs. UConn